Köstriaseme farm is from Kirikla village in Hageri parish. The buildings were brought to the museum from 1959-1962, and the farmyard was opened to visitors in 1962.
The average sized farm, that paid rent to Hageri church manor, had about 30 hectares of land and about 9 hectares of cropland. Although the Estonian peasant legislation in 1856 made it possible to buy farms, many tenants often remained for a long period. Taxes took up most of the income, and every kopeck saved was put aside in hope of one day becoming a farm owner. Yet buildings were kept up and improved wherever possible. Even fences were built. Köstriaseme farm also had, in front of the chambers, a clean yard with flower beds. It was separated from the stockyard between the threshing floor, cattle-shed and summer kitchen by a pleached fence.More
Did you know?
- It was believed that a spirit of the home inhabited the corner post of the stove in the kiln room. It was important to get along well with the spirit, and food and beer was sacrificed to ensure that the family of the farm fared well. Such a protective spirit was believed to dwell in every building.
- The name Köstriaseme comes from a time when clergymen of Hageri church lived on the farm.
- During the cold season, the entire family – grandmother, daughter and her two children – moved to the kiln room until the building was brought to the museum, in 1959.
- Food was prepared in the summer kitchen until 1959, so there would be less smoke inside.
- On Sundays, Köstriaseme always had a white tablecloth on the chamber table, at the request of one of the daughters who was adept at handicrafts.
10.11.2019 at 11:00 St. Martin’s Day More about event