Sutlepa chapel was built in the region populated by Estonian Swedes and is one of the oldest wooden buildings in Estonia. The chapel was built in Sutlepa village of Noarootsi parish as a subordinate church to Noarootsi parish church. The construction cannot be precisely dated: archival data mention the chapel as early as in 1627, but the year engraved above the church door is ‘1699’. The chapel was brought to the museum in 1970 and erected in 1971–1976. Sutlepa chapel was re-consecrated in 1989 and has since been a subordinate church of Jaani parish of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church. Sermons are held in the chapel on major holy days and important dates of the folk calendar.More
Did you know?
- The dating on the lunette on the chapel door reads ‘1699’, and the one on the door frame reads ‘1837’. The first date stands for the presumable year of construction, and the second, for restoration.
- Traditionally, men sat on the right of the aisle, and women, on the left. Along the walls on both sides of the altar there are the so-called masters’ benches, where affluent and respected families would sit. The chapel could fit in a total of around 150 people.
- Eight sermons were held in the chapel in 1825 apparently, baptisms, weddings and burial services were also performed there. Sermons were held in both Estonian and Swedish.
- Very few wooden churches have remained in Estonia. The title of the oldest wooden building is attributed to Ruhnu church (1644); Nõva church (18th century) is a gorgeous and stately building, too.
14.12.2019 - 15.12.2019 CHRISTMAS VILLAGE More about event