The old farm Vanatalo was situated in Lõkova village (called Ojavere as a part of Estonia) in Pankjavitsa (later Vilo commune), which is now in the Pskov Oblast of Russian Federation.
The eastern part of Setomaa was characterised by farms that were fortified in a way: the dwelling was located in the centre of a so-called three-row yard with rows of outbuildings along two sides of the dwelling. There were narrow yards closed with high gates between it and the outbuildings. The ends of all the buildings faced the village street.
The dwelling and the storehouse were brought to the museum in 1979.More
Did you know?
- Lõkova is the most southern village of the part of Setomaa nearest to Izborsk that has been visited by numerous ethnographers, dialectologists and folklore collectors throughout its history.
- The village name can go back to a person’s name or refer to the abundance of lime trees in the surroundings (`лыко` is the Russian for ‘lime bast’).
- Similarly to the rest of Setomaa, farms in Lõkova earned money by growing flax. They used the profit to construct new farm buildings, and construction was especially active in 1920s.
- According to the data collected by J. Hurt, in 1902 the village had a population of 189; in 2012, 10 people were living in Lõkova, of whom 3 were Setos.
29.02.2020 at 11:00 Maslenitsa, Russian Pancake Week More about event